Friday, January 17, 2014

Asthma

According to Web MD, "Asthma is characterized by inflammation of the bronchial tubes with increased production of sticky secretions inside the tubes. People with asthma experience symptoms when the airways tighten, inflame, or fill with mucus."

Lovely, right?

And nearly 34 million Americans suffer from asthma. And I'm one of those people.  I guess I'm writing about this today because back in November I got sick...be it the cold or flu, I'm not exactly sure...and today, January 17, I am still coughing and wheezing abnormally.  Now, to be honest, the boxing class I did this week seems to have stirred things up, so maybe vigorous exercise was not the very best idea.  But that just sucks.


One might think that 42 years of suffering with asthma I might be used to it by now.  It's a funny little affliction, though.  I can go for weeks without feeling any symptoms and then...BAM...out of the blue it shows up when I least expect it.




Now, over the years it has become more manageable for me.  Thank goodness for modern medicine!  I remember as a toddler having to drink a thick, yellow, awful tasting theophylline liquid.  As I got older it came in capsule form.  But even in my early 20's I would miss a week of work suffering from attacks.  I had a nebulizer I would pull out when it was that bad.  That thing always scared the cat.



 




Cat.  Yes, I know.  My doctors shame me every time I mention that I have a cat...and now also a dog!  But I'm an animal lover!! And 80% of the time they don't bother my asthma!  But that other 20%...ugh.




In my 30's, my miracle drug came out...Advair.  It has truly changed my life.  I very rarely need a rescue inhaler anymore.  However, Advair does come with a "black-box" warning that my doctor stresses about each time I visit: "may increase the chance of severe asthma episodes, and death when those episodes occur."  What does that even mean?? It HELPS my asthma!  And death is always a risk during an asthma attack.  I'll continue to take my chances.
 I'm not writing an advertisement for Advair, here (although I gladly would!).  I guess I just wanted to put my ailment out there.  Maybe others will respond as to how they deal with their asthma.  Maybe you'll forgive my incessant throat clearing, ahem.  Maybe you'll understand when my next cat is a Devon Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment