Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 15 - The Halfway Mark!

Wind Removing Pose
Day 15 of 30.  I have done 90 minutes of hot Yoga for 15 straight days in a row.  I feel good about it!  At the same time, I'm thinking...I have as many days to get through as I've already finished!  Whew!  And then I think of my friend, Kelli, who did a 60 day challenge a few years ago!  Wow!

I decided to take a few photos of myself in some poses and share them with the world.  Thus, combining my love of photography, water (as I was by the pool), and yoga.  This first photo is of Wind Removing Pose or Pavanamuktasana.  It is the first pose in the back series.  And each day I'm ever more grateful for the back series, which follows the standing/balancing series, which kicks my ass!  This particular pose compresses and massages the ascending, transverse, and descending colon.  It is said to cure and prevent flatulence.  I like to think it's for the boys in the class...as girls do not fart.  ;0)

At this point in the challenge I have non-stop pain in my hip-flexors all day every day.  This is actually one of the moves that creates that pain.  It's one of those "good" pains, though, I think.  I hope that it eases as the days go on.  That's really the only sore body part...other than my red chafed knees from camel pose and rabbit pose.

Hands to Feet Pose



This next (very flattering) photo is of Hands to Feet Pose or Pada Hastasana.  This is performed in beginning standing/balancing series.  This is the pose where we repetitively hear "Lock your knees.  Lock your knees.  Last chance...lock..your..knees."  As you can see I haven't quite mastered locking my knees.  This pose is said to eliminate excess fat (Yay!!), influence sex organs, and help prevent flatulence (I see a theme forming).

Just a side-note here...I had 10 seconds to get into this pose before the camera timer completed...AND I was doing it while balancing on a diving board.  Thank you...thank you. 

Full Locust Pose









 

The third and final photo I'm sharing today is part of the spine strengthening series and is called Full Locust Pose or Poorna-Salabhasana.  It is part of the Cobra series, which I happen to love.  This posture is good for strengthening the middle and lower spine and for expanding the rib cage and lungs.  It is said to aid in digestion, strengthen the immune system, and revitalize the thyroid.

I have to say that since beginning Bikram, my allergies have not been bothering me at all and I feel better overall.  Although, I find that I'm much more tired than usual once evening arrives.  I seem to have more energy during the day, but am exhausted at night.  Which makes for great sleeping so I can't really complain! 

So, last night I broke my run for the non-alcoholic portion of this challenge.  This was a self-imposed rule that even my Yoga instructors were impressed with (and curious about).  I went 20 days without a drink and I'm very proud of that.  However, I was finding (as I'm sure was Eric) that I was getting quite bitchy!  And sitting at home on a Saturday night last night, Eric enjoying a few beers and me drinking MORE water, I decided that 20 days was good enough and I went to Target and bought a bottle of Kim Crawford and darn near finished it.  And it tasted great and I have no regrets!  Besides that...I have not lost one pound according the scales...have gained 2 pounds in fact.  So...why not have a cocktail?!

Cheers to the final 15 days of this awesome challenge!  And I challenge you all to give this a shot!  You can still sign up for the challenge at a Bikram studio near you...you can start any day in the month of July.  Bikram Yoga 30 Day Challenge  is a good link to get started.  Although this particular site is based in NYC, it has great information and links.  Challenge yourself!

I was in yoga the other day. I was in full lotus position. My chakras were all aligned. My mind is cleared of all clatter and I'm looking out of my third eye and everything that I'm supposed to be doing. It's amazing what comes up, when you sit in that silence. "Mama keeps whites bright like the sunlight, Mama's got the magic of Clorox 2."
Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:

Post a Comment