Sunday, May 11, 2014

Austin - I LOVE This City!

With my past couple of jobs I have had the opportunity to travel across the US.  It is a great experience no matter where I go, but it's a wonderful experience when I really feel connected to the city.  I have been to Minneapolis, Columbus, St. Louis, New York, Orlando, Chicago, Las Vegas, Denver, Sacramento, West Hollywood, Atlanta, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Austin, and Boston for my jobs. And while I have had fun in every city, I have to say I left my heart in Atlanta and in Austin.  Both of these cities have some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Downtown Austin skyline at sunset

One of many guitars scattered about the city


Live music on 6th Street

The city of Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States right now; therefore, I will forgive the horrible traffic and just hope they get it sorted out.  Their love of music and food is unlike anything I've ever experienced.  They have live bands tucked into the must unassuming spots.  They stand in line for hours for food and have food trucks spread out all over the city. 




Texas barbecue - Salt Lick


Dining on South Congress
 

While my co-worker indulged in a Son of a Peach, I refrained...not sure I'm so proud of that now!


  
Chef at Paul Qui's restaurant

Chef at Paul Qui's restaurant pulling fresh herbs from plants on the countertop


Living in Scottsdale I've become accustomed to the fake breasts, plumped lips, and stagnant foreheads.  And I'm not judging...anyone who knows me knows I've wanted "breastesess" my whole life!  But the women in Austin are so natural it reminded me of what true beauty is...being yourself.  One type of needle that IS used in Austin quite often, however, is the tattoo needle.  This city is one of the most tatted cities I've been to.  I think having a tattoo is a requirement to live here.  And the tattoos are beautifully colored and vibrant pieces of art.  (I WISH I had a new one to show you...soon).



Similar to their colorful tattoos, the city is also known for their iconic graffiti art plastered on the sides of buildings throughout the streets.























I hope to get back to Austin sometime with my girlfriends for a weekend girls trip.  From SoCo to Rainey Street to Dirty Sixth; from flip flops to cowboy boots; from food truck lines to Uchi; we are guaranteed to have a great time!! 

Until next time, dear Austin!

Congress "Bat" Bridge - everyone lined up to see the bats swarm from under the bridge

Stay Weird!



“I like it here in Austin. Anybody got a room?”
  -Keith Richards


 "Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word"
-Author John Steinbeck

Some Links:
Dirty 6th 
South Congress Cafe 
Chuggin' Monkey
Rainey Street 
Paul Qui
Bat Bridge 
Sale Lick BBQ
Gordough's

No comments:

Post a Comment